Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I speak dolphin

"Scientists hope a new computer translation system will allow divers to make sense of dolphin sounds — and even talk back"

Uh oh. If you've read any of my earlier posts on dolphins, you can bet that I'm none too happy about the potential for a human-dolphin language. "Yeah, I double-majored in Global Studies and Dolphin." How useful. Do we really want dolphins to be able to tell us what they think? Besides, it's not like they can talk on our turf (land). What if you got into an argument with them about who should win American Idol ? You're totally at their mercy out in the open seas! Who knows what they're capable of. They seem so cute and playful now...probably because they don't know that sometimes they end up in cans of tuna fish. Wait until they find out about that!

Why do we care what dolphins think anyway? I'm more concerned with what my cat thinks...
"Why are you staring at me without blinking?" "Why did you scratch the hell out of my arm?"
"What are you chasing?! There's nothing there." There is no good reason for cats to be doing any of those things. The mystery could be solved if only they could talk.

On the other hand, imagine if you asked dolphins questions:
Q: "Hey dolphin, why are you leaping and frolicking around in the waves with your friends?"
A: "Uh, because it's fun, dumbass."
Q: "Why do you chase boats?"
A: "Why do you tow yourselves on ropes behind boats?"

The whole thing sounds exhausting. Vote no for dolphin language.

No comments:

Post a Comment