Sunday, December 19, 2010

Book Club

I don't actually have one of these. I want to though! Actually, maybe not. I'm not sure that I could convince my friends that reading stuff like End The Fed and The Black Swan would be in their best interest. It might not be anyway. End The Fed was terribly disappointing.

I mostly just want to be in a book club in order to have an excuse to have brunch once a month. I love brunch. There's not much better than starting your day with bailey's & coffee, mimosas, bacon, and eggs. In that order.

So, until I get around to starting a brunch/book/mimosa drinking club, I'll add a feature to my blog about books I'm reading or have read. And then people can talk about books they are reading. So, it will be like a book club on the interweb, which leaves more time for brunch in real life.

Books I've read recently:

The Help : Good stuff--highly recommend. Fiction. Told from the perspective of African-American maids in Jackson, Mississippi during the Civil Rights Era.

The Liar's Club: Really, really good. Even though it was a short book, it took me a long time to get through. The book is a memoir of a woman who grew up in East Texas during the 60s. Mom was a crazy alcoholic. Literally crazy--she set the house on fire. Dad drank too much too. Anyway, the book was riveting in its awfulness.

End the Fed: Ron Paul, I'm disappointed in you. You can't write a book called "End the Fed" without coming up with a decent plan for how to unwind it. Lovely points on why it shouldn't exist -- all of which I could've read on my own by googling "gold standard."

Catcher in the Rye: I read this during the Oktoberfest/Central European adventures of 2010. A good classic and fun read. Regretfully, I had to abandon it in a hostel in Fussen, Germany in order to make room for my Dirndl.

A Week in December. I picked this up in the Heathrow airport with the last of my pounds. Tells the stories of roughly 15 different people in London. It jumps around between them and gradually you see how they are all inter-related. It is suspenseful, because one of the guys is a terrorist and another one is orchestrating the collapse of the world's banking system.

Little Bee. Couldn't put it down. Despite the girly appearance of the cover, I would recommend it to anyone.

2 comments:

  1. I also love brunch and have scouted out a new place in Ballard. Check out Bastille. Amazing. Better than Oddfellows (ouch, I never thought I'd say that)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!!! Despite the fact that it takes me months to catch up with the happenings on your blog, I'd LOVE to start a book club. I know we've had previous discussions about this and I promise not to choose anything too crazy. : )

    ReplyDelete