Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I feel like the twins in The Social Network

I found last week's cover of the Seattle Weekly particularly infuriating.


If you can't read the tag line, it says: "Pie is as American as...apple pie. So how can it be the next cupcake?" The article inside goes on to discuss a couple pie shops that have recently opened in Seattle. They're supposedly the next trendy thing. Pie shops are taking over trendy cupcake shops and street food.

Nothing against street meat and $5 cupcakes. But, I have been talking about pie for years. YEARS. I encountered my first pie shop in 2007 in Lynden, WA when I was sent there for three weeks for work. I had delicious pie every day (yes, every day), and haven't stopped talking about it since. "Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a place like this in Seattle?!" "You guys, let's drive to the Canadian border so we can get some pie." And now the coffee and cupcake hipsters have leveraged their success into pie shops. My first to market opportunity is gone. FAIL.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I traveled to Belgium with some BFFs in 2009.


Upon our return, we talked incessantly about how cool it would be to open a belgian waffle shop. We were going to call it "Wafflestraat," and we would get rich eating waffles and talking to cute boys. Of course, we had "real" jobs, so it was just talk. No less than six months later, Sweet Iron opened up downtown. Their waffles are delicious. I hate them.


Someone is stealing my ideas. D-bags. Speaking of D-bags, I also take (half) credit for inventing that term. Back in early 2007, my hired friends and I were trying to figure out ways to say inappropriate things at work without sounding inappropriate. You can't just say "douchebag" in the workplace. Hence "D-bag" was born. Of course, NOW you can't say "D-bag" either. But back before everyone knew what it meant, it was totally fine.

Don't even get me started on bacon. From now on, I'm keeping all my good ideas to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment