Sunday, November 6, 2011

Now, for just whom does the bell toll?

On Saturday, we took a day trip to the hill town of Ronda, which is about 2 hours outside Sevilla by bus. It was gorge-ous! This town was made famous by Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls." I've never read it, but now I guess I'll have to. It is funny, the Alhambra didn't really become a tourist destination until Washington Irving wrote "Tales of the Alhambra." It sounds like Spain wasn't that cool until Americans started writing books about it.




Now that I think about it, I think that I should buy up some real estate in central oregon, start drinking some more whiskey, write a best seller that romanticizes driving combines and setting fields of grass on fire, and retire on the tourism profits. The bell tolls for me.

Anyway, the main sight in Ronda is the huge gorge over which the town is built. We hiked partway down this gorge, and were greeted with some gorge-ous views. Although they were also damn good views, there doesn't appear to be a dam. It was windy and cold, but definitely a highlight of the trip for us! The pictures don't quite capture the depth of the valley, but it was pretty incredible. Also, everything is white. It was very windy and very cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment