Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Singapore Day

Today, I explored Singapore by foot!  This is probably the most walking that I've done since since EBC.  It felt good!  I also went on a short (free) walking tour. I was going to go on one that cost money (but came highly recommended). I opted for the free one instead.  A few interesting things I learned:

-86% of singaporeans live in government housing. You can only live there if you are married.  Until then, you live with your parents.  If you're over 35 and single, they let you into the government housing.

-The racial mix in the government housing must be proportional at all times.  They won't let you in if the mix isn't right.

-Singapore was founded by a Brit named Stamford Raffles. Best name ever.

-You cannot buy gum here.

-Gambling in public is illegal.

Walking along the river

$1000?! Doesn't that seem a little extreme?  That's around 700 USD.

Marina Bay Sands Hotel
Outside the Marina Bay Sands Hotel, looking back towards the city

View of the city from the observation deck of the SwissHotel (71st floor)

Chinatown.  Looks suspiciously clean and organized, right?

Buddhist temple in Chinatown

The street my hostel is on

No comments:

Post a Comment