Friday, November 19, 2010

Horse Racing

For me, going on trips requires a lot of preparation/training.

Prior to attending the Olympics this year I hosted a party where we watched Cool Runnings, dressed in patriotic gear, and drank Canadian beer. For the record, drinking everytime you hear "bobsled" or "olympics" during that movie is a bad idea. We had a similar-type party during the Opening Cermonies.

Prior to Oktoberfest, my friends and I patronized every german bar in Seattle on Thursday nights for 6 weeks prior to departure. I also watched Beerfest and practiced drinking out of boots.

2011 is the year of the Kentucky Derby. May 7th in Louisville. There are A LOT of things that need to be done to get ready for it. Good thing I'm starting now. Most importantly, I need to learn how to make lots of money by betting on horse races. So, I purchased my very own copy of "Betting on Horse Racing for Dummies." Good thing too, because I can't imagine how hard it is for smart people. The book is 332 pages long! So, between now and May, my blog will be filled with horse racing tips/facts.

Today, we learn that the "backstretch" is the straight part of the racetrack opposite from where the finish line is. It also means the stable area where the racehorses are kept. That is confusing, especially because I've always thought that the backstretch was the part right before the finish line. Sigh.

Here is a list of things I need to do before the Derby:
1. Re-read and/or watch Seabiscuit
2. Watch Secretariat (my book says that horse has held the record for 30+ years)
3. Go to Emerald Downs
4. Find a bookie
5. Learn the words to "My Old Kentucky Home"
6. Become familiar with where Kentucky is on a map
7. Come up with an awesome idea for my derby hat
8. Figure out how to make a mint julep
9. Figure out how to make sweet tea
10. Save up some gambling money
11. Find ways to use the word "trifecta" in everyday speech
12. Learn how to calculate payouts
13. Search the app store for Derby-related iPhone apps
14. Determine whether or not there is anything else to do in Kentucky
15. Convince all of my friends to go!

If you've been to the Derby or have any additional tips, let me know!

2 comments: