Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Yuppies

I think that I am one. I don't even know how it happened! What's next--will I become a hipster? A girl can only dream.

If you simply trace the last 24 hours of my life, it becomes pretty clear:

Yesterday, I went to my job that I mostly like where I get paid enough to support 1.5-2 people. Then I met up with friends who have similar (or the same) jobs at a hip french restaurant. We drank wine and used our iphones to try and "learn the language" in time for our upcoming vacation. I ordered quail for dinner. We took pictures of our dinner with our iphones. Then we talked about our iphones and whether or not we were going to get new iphones. I drove home in my cool-but-not-too-cool Mazda3 and chatted casually with my roomate about dating, religion, and economics.

After work today I went on a trail run in my fancy new shoes that I bought from a running store. Then I went to Trader Joes (this is key yuppie behavior) and bought fancy cheese, protein drinks and other vegetarian items. Now I'm eating the fancy cheese and drinking the wine. I have a blog.

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? Ten years ago I drove a Ford Tempo and spent my evenings watching "Who wants to be a millionaire?" Five years ago I hadn't even heard of trader joes and I bought my running shoes at Big 5. Sometimes. Most of the time they came from Walmart.

Good? Bad? I don't know. I should probably go find a farmer's market or something.

1 comment: