Monday, October 25, 2010

Flash Mob

I've been holding off on writing this post until the official video was ready. However, it appears that the Seahawks franchise is too busy kicking ass to publish the official video. In the meantime, you can watch this "unofficial" footage.

Awesome, right?!?! Can you believe that I totally learned all those moves?

I think that one of the best ways to describe my flash mob experience is to stereotype everyone who participated (including myself). To give you some background, in the weeks leading up to the performance there were a number of rehearsals. These usually took place in crowded ball rooms, and the dress rehearsals took place on soccer fields in city parks. It was all highly organized. The organizers communicated via facebook, and all of the rehearsals had sound equipment, stages, etc. They also started and ended on time--a very important feature in my book. Anyway, I've listed a few people below that were typical of the flash mob crowd. I didn't snap any pictures, and I'm not making fun of these people. I'm just trying to describe how AWESOME it is that people from all walks of life can get together and dance to MJ in front of 60K half-drunk football fans without getting booed.

#1 - Moms w/ their kids: I liked this group. Moms in their early 40's with their 10 year olds singing along to Madonna's vogue. A wholesome family. I met one mom who had done ALL of the flash mobs in seattle with her kids. She loved that she could dance in the street with her teenage daughters--and they actually wanted to do it! Isn't that adorable?!

#2 - Old man by himself: Sweatband. black socks. white tennies. 'nuff said.

#3 - Teenage girls who thought they were hot Sh*T: I didn't like this group. These girls showed up mom-free and screamed all the time about everything. Here is an exchange between me and stereotype #3 during the DRESS REHEARSAL 2 hours before the game...
me: hey, I'm Sara. Nice to meet you.
S3: hey, I'm stereotype #3, and I think I'm hot Sh*T.
me: Have you ever done a flash mob before?
S3: No, but it should be pretty easy.
me: What do you mean? The MJ part is still tricky for me.
S3: Well, I've only been to one practice, but I'm really good with choreography.
me: oh. cool.

#4 - Single girl in her 20's with nothing better to do: Hiiii! That's right, nothing better to do, because this was so incredibly awesome! But yes, these are the types that usually go to happy hour or a run around greenlake after work. They put all the rehearsals in their iphone calendar and wore cute lululemon outfits to the rehearsals on the off chance that they would meet a hot guy or two. However, you'll notice that "Hot single guy in his late 20's or early 30's" is not listed as a flash mob stereotype.

#5 - Weirdo guy in his mid-20's: Definitely on the list. This was the guy who found it appropriate to ask for snacks from my friends and me. And not just a few pieces of trail mix. Somehow he got carrots, half of a PB&J, and a fruit by the foot from all of us.

#6 - Woman who didn't listen to instructions: O.M.G lady! If you watched the video above, you see that everyone was in fairly straight lines. It is very difficult to organize 800 people into military-style lines. Stereotype #6, did you ever stop to think that if you listened to what the people in charge were saying over the microphones you might hear that they had given us a change of instructions!?!?! Stand in your line and don't move. Oh, and can you please stop telling everyone around you what to do, because you are telling them the wrong thing. You are not one of the leaders here. Have you never participated in a group before? Oh, you're confused and frustrated now?!?! LISTEN.

#7 - Woman who yelled at #6: You are my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment